THE SKYBLUE OCEAN

(from The Book of India)



How can I forget your skyblue ocean?


How can I forget the silent and beauteous Buddha?


How can I forget the eyes of melancholy stones?


How can I forget the unshod Tamils?


How can I forget a temple with a golden roof?


How can I forget the love of small children, holding out their hands?


How can I forget the girls with their callouses and shining eyes?


How can I forget sneaking a look at their naked breasts?


How can I forget what I saw in the raging velvet of the blue ocean?


How can I forget the huge white elephants, their legs in chains?


How can I forget enjoying the milk from split coconuts?


How can I forget a life in the glance of a single elder sister?


How can I forget the skyblue ocean?


How can I forget the fishing boats, fading away into white?


How can I forget the thought of spending my life with them in song?


How can I forget pouring water by the round moon, o goddess, yearning to reach you?